In 2022, we presented our first full festival following the Covid-19 Pandemic, with over 40 events across Belfast spreading the joy of Mela in each corner of the city.
Highlights of 2022 included:
- A brand new city centre event, Mela Carnival, featuring a spectacular parade across the city centre culiminating in a global village party at City Hall grounds with dramatic aerial shows.
- Long awaited return to Botanic Gardens, after a two year break due to the pandemic, with over 20,000 people flocking to the park to enjoy a wonderland of world music, dance, food and art
- Launch of our You, Me & Tea exhibition celebrating the story of tea in Northern Ireland and trade links to India and China.
- Launch of Green Mela, our new sustainability initiative, with screening of COP commission Songs of the Earth and neighbourhood regeneration programme in the Holylands.
- A whole host of music events including Connections, our unique fusion music projected composed and directed by acclaimed musician Neil Martin and a Global Ceili with Moxie at the Empire Music Hall
- A whole host of food events including a three course dining experience at the Silk Road Supper Club; our Tea Walking Tours and cookery demonstrations at Taste the World.
- A whole host of wellbeing experiences with events across the city’s parks and studios